Ten Things I Hate About You came out in 1999 so I have no idea why it took me this long to actually watch it. If this is you then please stop whatever you're doing right now and go see it.
I love it so much I don't think I can actually write about it properly. Instead, I'm just going to tell you 10 things I really, really don't hate about it.
10) It's based on a Shakespeare play and the high school the characters attend is named Padua High. I don't know why I love this, but it's just really cute. Also Patrick "Verona," like in Italy.
9) Kat and Bianca's dad is the best. You're probably supposed to hate him for, like, "OMG, totally ruining everything," but he really cares about his daughters and *spoiler* lets Kat go off to college in the end. I'm tearing up over here.
8) All (or most) of the characters are really smart and intelligent, which makes a nice change from watching teenagers portrayed in films as stupid and irresponsible. The obvious exceptions to this point are part of the plot so we can look past Joey and Chastity.
|"Trust you to use long words when you're smashed."|
7) JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT. I have nothing else to say about this except: He. Is. Adorable.
6) Mr Morgan. Why isn't he real and why isn't he teaching me English?
5) Bianca reminds me of my little sister. They're both annoying, attention-seeking and have this amazing ability to get exactly what they want but still manage to seem sweet and innocent. She's also definitely the best dressed one in the film.
4) The music. All of it is so good, from the Joan Jett song playing while Kat drives to school to the concert where he asks her out to the bands performing at the prom at the very end.
3) When he buys her the guitar and then kisses her and she just won't shut up interrupting to tell him what to do. I just can't deal with how much I love this bit you guys.
2) Julia Stiles. I think if I was 17 in the nineties rather than now she would be the girl I would secretly want to be but would be too shy to go be friends with. Because she is seriously scary. With great taste in books and music, but still terrifying.
And if you don't cry at her poem, you're either lying or just have no soul.
1) Heath Ledger. <3 <3 <3 And THIS. If it doesn't convince you to watch the film, then I don't think we can be friends.